October 14, 2010

The easiest way to make winter squash

Today I finally discovered the best, quickest, easiest way to make winter squash for babies and toddlers. I can't believe I just now realized it. I have been trying so hard to sneak calories into it that I never realized I was doing it the hard way! Now I know...and know you know, too!

My local grocery store had a sale on winter squash last week. I picked up these 3 bad boys for around $1 each and decided to experiment with some new squash types because they were just too pretty not to buy.


Acorn - not new for us, but sweet and yummy
Carnival - tastes a bit like sweet potato or Butternut squash and looks very good in a bowl on your table as fall decoration until you bake it! This one took a little longer to bake
Delicata squash - the long skinny one, really good, smooth and sweet. Also had little sweet potato like flavor. I read this is an "heirloom" variety.

5 easy steps to yummy winter squash:
1. Wash the outside of the squash and cut it in half lengthwise, scrape out the seeds and pulp with a spoon. 
2. Take a baking pan and add about 1/4" of water to it, then place the cleaned squash flesh side down into the water.
3. Bake on 375 for 45 minutes
4. Remove from oven, turn flesh side up and let cool on a paper towel. At this point, I smeared on a little butter, you could also sprinkle on some cinnamon. Or not - it's up to you!
5. After it cools about 10 minutes, take a spoon and scoop out all the flesh, careful not to get any of the skin. Now all you have to do it smash it up with a fork - it should be very soft already. For a younger baby, you can puree it super duper smooth at this point also.

That's it. I didn't need any extra liquid or anything. So easy. Why did I not do this before?!?!

No comments:

Post a Comment