August 31, 2010

Banana Pudding Parfaits

One of my son's nutritionists suggested I make him pudding when he was going through one of his "no liquids" phases because it is a way to "sneak" liquid in and when made with whole milk or cream it can be quite calorie dense. I don't know about you, but I don't have a ton of time to make homemade pudding and every time I would go to buy a pack of jell-o pudding I would look at the ingredients on the back and put it right back onto the shelf. Luckily the other day I finally found organic pudding at the store! I was beyond excited and bought a few different flavors. First up to try was my son's favorite flavor of everything, banana.

I also knew that adding fresh fruit to the pudding would be a must to add a more nutritional value.

1 box of organic banana pudding
 Whole milk or cream
2 yellow peaches, peeled and cut into slices
1 tbls unsalted butter
1 tbls agave nectar
1 banana, mashed with a fork

Make the pudding according to the directions on the box using whole milk or cream. Follow the directions for the peach puree in the Tiny Toddler Turnovers - or better yet, use the leftover puree!

Use a small ice cream scoop or large spoon and put one scoop of putting the the bottom of 4 small bowls or ramekins. On top of the pudding put 1/4 of the mashed banana, followed by 2 scoops of the pudding. Next up is a large scoop of peach puree followed by 2 more scoops of pudding. Refrigerate for 2-3 hours and Ta-Da! Pudding parfaits. If you want to make it a little special put a spoonful of whipped cream on top :)
 


You can really use any flavor of pudding and any of your child's favorite fruit for this. Another idea - layer the pudding and fruit into Popsicle molds instead of bowls and freeze them for a healthy pudding pop in the summertime!


For a lower calorie version omit the butter and agave and use low fat milk in the pudding.

No comments:

Post a Comment