September 16, 2010

Purple Applesauce

I bought beets at the farmers market as part of my "try a new veggie every week" plan. The only problem was that I really had no idea what to do with them. I recently read some good stuff about beets, that they are full of antioxidants and have a sweet flavor. No one told me to be really careful when cooking with them if you don't want pink splatter stains everywhere! I paired them with apples to take advantage of the sweetness.

3 beets, bottom and stems cut off 
3 apples - whatever type is your babies favorite, I used Fujis

Fill large saucepan with about 2" of water and bring to a boil. Peel the beets and peel and core the apples and chop into about 1" pieces. Put the chunks into a steamer basket in place in the saucepan. Cover and steam for about 15 minutes. Place soft chunks into a food processor and pour in a little bit of the steaming water (hello, nutrients!) to help puree. Puree to your desired consistency. Cool and serve or spoon into an ice cube tray to freeze individual portions.

Alternately, you can use a Babycook steamer on the vegetable setting or even boil them instead of steaming. Steaming keeps the most nutrients. You can also add a little butter and cinnamon to them. Make sure that your baby is wearing a bib or clothes that you don't care about when eating this, because I am pretty sure it will stain ;)
Ready to freeze

No comments:

Post a Comment