September 22, 2010

Sauteed Brussels Sprouts with Cheese

the ingredients
I don't know if it was my mom's idea or my dad's idea, but somehow, growing up Brussels sprouts always had grated cheddar and bacon on top of them at our house. I think that was how they got us to eat them. Now I love them and am using my parents tricks to get little A to love them, too! I have not yet given little A bacon so I left it out of this recipe, if your little one is good with bacon, then go ahead and include a few slices of chopped fried bacon along with the cheese.

1 lb Brussels sprouts
1/2 white onion, slices
1 clove minced garlic
3 tbls. olive oil
1/4 cup chicken broth
3/4 cup grated cheddar cheese
Fresh ground pepper to taste
Wash the sprouts, cut the bottom and peel off any damage leaves. If your sprouts are large, cut them in half. Heat olive oil in large skillet, add in onion and garlic, saute for a few minutes and add the sprouts and chicken broth. I used some left over broth that I froze from the pureed chicken recipe. Cover and let simmer for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. When the sprouts are very tender when pricked with a fork, turn off the heat, add the grated cheese and pepper (and bacon it you want to use it). put the lid back on and let it steam for 5-10 minutes.
At this point, you can cut the sprouts into a smaller size and serve it to your older babies or you can puree it for the younger crowd. To puree, pour everything into a food processor, adding extra chicken broth and olive oil to help puree. Puree as smooth as you would like, adding the extra liquid as needed to get a smoother puree.

Serve or spoon into ice cube trays to freeze. Mixes well with sweet potatoes, butternut squash and chicken.

1 comment:

  1. Brussel sprouts are nasty. Even with cheese. I gaurentee you it was mom's idea...

    ReplyDelete